Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2020

Where is the time going?

I used to think that Fall was a laid back time of the year. Well, that belief seems to have gone out the door recently. I was so hopeful that after all the turmoil this year that things would finally settle down. Not so much. We did get the new room completed. Our contractor told us that if we had waited even a month longer, there was a distinct possibility that they would have not been able to get enough wood to build it. They did have a challenge but were able to piece the wood purchases together through various suppliers. Now, it seems, they can't even do that given the production problems caused by Covid. Sheesh!! We're still waiting for our couches to arrive which have been pushed back twice and now we sit at the end of September/beginning of October. We ordered these at the beginning of June. And we thought we were early.
While I generally just harvest the produce this time of year, I have had to actually do more than just be a caretaker. Given the issues I had, I decided to "invest" in my soil. I put a good layer of composted manure from a source I trusted. And, come to find out, the company has recently decided to close up the operations for good. They had been in business for 50 years and figured that they had a good run. So, I will be researching companies who produce dehydrated cow manure and are OMRI rated. Not an easy thing but I have time for now.
As the next step I my soil regimen, I have begun to seed in the Winter Rye early as I stated in my last post. Growth has been very vigorous to say the least.
Thumb of 2020-08-26/grdnguru/0aa5ad
This is about 3 days of growth. I was hoping for a faster than normal growth given the temperatures but this is beyond that. The shoots are about an inch or so high and the density of the growth is unlike I ever had before. So, I am optimistic that the rest of the beds will be the same. One never can never assume too much in gardening.
I have subsequently planted a second mini bed of Rye. And, it seems to be following the scenario of the first. This is it's second day of growth and I am very happy with this. Shoots are very evident when seen up close which is why this is so close to the bed.
Thumb of 2020-08-26/grdnguru/0c90ce
The plants are about a half inch so far but, as seen with the first bed, it will only be a matter of time before they explode.
Concurrently, I sewed in two other areas in the garden on the 23rd an additional bed on the 24th. I told you this was a busy Fall season. Here are the pictures showing the beds.
Thumb of 2020-08-26/grdnguru/0b23db Thumb of 2020-08-26/grdnguru/3abc48 Thumb of 2020-08-26/grdnguru/f8e310
The picture on the left shows the newly planted bed at the top, the middle picture shows the bed on the bottom and the right picture shows the area above the middle pictures bed. I am planting around my tomatoes since they are producing a crop of sorts. I will take pictures of all the beds tomorrow to show the total current status of the beds.
I do have another bed ready for planting which may happen tonight or tomorrow night. Here is a view of that one.
Thumb of 2020-08-26/grdnguru/3d71ee
I have another half of this plot which has a melon plant which is fruiting so I wanted to give that time to ripen.
As I have stated previously, my focus is to bring my soil back to the condition it was in. Through my reconfiguration last fall and early this Spring, I definitely lost the soil fertility I have been accustomed to. If my goal for the garden is to be a hedge against price inflation and availability, then the soil has to be my primary focus. My belief is that we have not seen the worst of vegetable shortages and the concurrent rise in prices due to Covid. So, nothing else I do will really matter until the soil is right to produce at the levels I need. The steps I have taken so far are primary building blocks which I will build upon the only way I know how - steadily.
That's all I have for now. As I said, lots of activity going on so it's been challenging to say the least. Until next time, Happy Gardening everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!