Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Hello Again

After many issues with my computer, I had to relent and buy a new laptop.  Happily, I received my new laptop Sunday.  And what a relief it is to have a machine that works.  Took a little time to get used to it but I think i have the hang of it now.  Now that the issue is resolved, there is much to tell/relate.  Given winter is right around the corner, time is of the essence.
I was doing chores this past Thursday in my backyard.  Having completed my work there, I went out front to discover that a sizeable tote of spent flowers and plants was sitting in my driveway.  Apparently, one of my neighbors knows that I am an avid composter.  If it's green or brown, it will most likely end up in one of my 4 units.  So, I carried it back to my garden area to begin the prepping process.  I put the cuttings into my wheel barrow.  Here is the result of that.


I then took a shovel and sliced through the mass in order to speed its decomposition.  I lightly watered them down and went on with my chores.  Here is how they looked after the chopping.  I was happy to get these as its a pretty good unexpected haul and will definitely go a long ways to giving me the bulk that is necessary.

I put the container in my driveway, not knowing who exactly gave me them.  I then worked in my greenhouse and went inside my house, noticing that the container was now gone.  Next morning, I woke up to yet another set of plant debris in my driveway.  This one was a little bigger in mass than the first one as shown below.

I then added these to the previous donations and cut/watered them like I did before.  Here are before and after pictures of my compost treasure. 

I went to put the container back in my driveway and my neighbor accross the street walked over to retrieve her container.  I thanked her for it and she said it was easier to do this than to bag them up and she knew I composted so might as well put them to good use.  People surprise you sometimes.    
I have left the cuttings in the container and actually added a few pots of spent soil and some grass cuttings.  It rained on them over the weekend so they are off to a good start.  I'll add them to my working composter at the end of this week before the weather turns.  
It's great to be able to post again without the computer wonking out on me.  There is a lot to cover and I will do so over the next week.  I have a bunch of competing outside tasks to get accomplished this week as the weather is currently unseasonably warm and I plan on taking advantage of it.  I'm not complaining but as we all know, there are only so many hours in a day.        
So, in my next post, I will take stock of the progress of the seedlings I have currently growing.  Lots to write about but It will get done.  Until next time everybody, Happy Gardening!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!