Search This Blog

Friday, August 7, 2020

Fall crop preparations

My wife and I took a trip to the local Michaels to get a painting readjusted. Afterwards we went to the nearby T J Maxx for some shopping. Then we decided to go to the Goodwill superstore. We found a chair that my wife will be refurbishing. She is very talented doing that. We then decided to stop in to the Restore store to just look around. She found an older style table lamp that was in pretty good shape and given the price, it was worth a gamble. It had some imperfections which she was sure she could repair. As I was walking around, I noticed an accordion style bundle of what looked like the foldout car sun protectors you see in the summer. I opened it up and it was 12 attached folded boards with silver on one side and a blue foam on the other.
So a worker came by and I asked how much they were selling it for and he said 50 cents. Sold!
I have been trying to figure out a system where I could block the sun in the summer. The temps in the greenhouse would reach 115-130 degrees on sunny days. I knew it had to lightweight and easily installed and removed. The panels seemed the right fit to the problem. So yesterday afternoon, I went to work on getting the boards cut to size. With an assist from my wife as she found command strips of Velcro, I began adhering the Velcro to the boards and windows. After about an hour or so, I had the 4 panels in place as seen below. The test will be how much effect this will have. Time will tell. I have more boards to use if it needs a little tweaking.
Thumb of 2020-08-07/grdnguru/7c5244
Now that I may have hopefully altered the temps in the greenhouse, which I will need to monitor, I am going to begin assembling and seeding in the containers. I wasn't going to start them until near the end of August as the containers would require a lot of watering to keep them moist enough to grow in the hot greenhouse. I will post on that as soon as I have begun. Until next time, Happy Gardening Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!