Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Is Fall really here already?!

That just doesn't seem possible. I know summer still has a bit of a ways to go. But when I browse the web, there are all these various Youtube gardening experts bantering on about how it is time to do the various things gardeners should do to prepare for fall crops. I get that there are lead times and such that must be considered if you are going to grow into the earlier parts of winter. I never really put much effort into growing a fall crop as I did not have the time and I guess, the energy to tend to the plants. The fall crops need more attention than the summer ones. At least that has been my experience when I attempted to grow them the one or two times I did. Maybe I am wrong and just need to try again.
I helped my Father in Law set his generator in place Monday night in case the power went out. Our areas' power is prone to outages in lightning storms or high winds. Isaias sat almost directly overhead of us for about 5 hours and it put down a pretty brisk rate of rain and winds, but luckily, we had no outages. It wasn't a huge threat to us that the local media and national weather services made it out to be.  I know the coastal areas were in a much different situation but they seemed to withstand the storm pretty decently.
I worked on my greenhouses' door Monday as it was coming off in windy situations. And thankfully, given Isaias' wrath yesterday, my decision to attend to it so I wouldn't see it cartwheeling across my yard in a driving rain was well thought out. I shimmed it and then drove screws through the metal base and shims into the 4X4 wood base. Then I tightened the various nuts and bolts. Once shimmed and seemingly unable to come off the track, I ran a bead of caulk between the metal base of the greenhouse and the wood foundation. I checked on it Tuesday night and thankfully, the door was still in place and there wasn't any evidence of water seeping into the greenhouse.
I am thinking about growing a variety of lettuces', chard, carrots and the like this fall in the greenhouse. Part of what I need to get accomplished in order to do that is to make the greenhouse more weather tight. I am going to caulk the various panels in order to cut the wind seepage down and also stabilize them in case we get a strong storm. It held up pretty well last winter. But there were a couple of times when the panel just popped out in high winds. With a little elbow grease, I can hopefully lessen the likelihood of that happening this year.
I was planning on taking pictures yesterday of all the containers I have amassed this year and what my purposes are for them but, the rains were quite heavy. They persisted until later in the afternoon. So, I will postpone that to a later date this week. Our new family room and dining area is still under construction. I think we are about 2 weeks away from completion. It has been a long process with lots of decisions and a bunch of travelling here and there to buy the various accoutrements. Now that we can see it coming together, we are getting very excited.
So, I will leave it here. Please check back in a few days (barring any last minute room issues) for my post regarding the containers. As always, Happy Gardening Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!