Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Update

We returned to normal weather for the last 3 days.  We were supposed to get snow/ice on Saturday but it amounted to nothing.  One of these times, I do believe we will actually get what the forecast is calling for us to get.  There really isn't a whole lot to do at this point in the garden.  I have been keeping my small winter garden growing.  I went out today to peek in given it was in the 40"s.
The plants seem to be doing better than I expected given the colder temps we have been having.  I am actually quite excited that the lettuce plants have had a resurgence.  I may even get to eat a salad in the near future which would be a really cool treat.  As can be seen in the picture, the Mesclun mix in the bottom right square is really growing well.  The spinach in the middle and the carrots and onions in the top rows have shown more progress this week than the previous weeks.  All in all, the vegetables are doing much better than I even thought possible.  The next couple of weeks should be the deciding factor.

Besides maintaining this bed, I have been busy cleaning my seed starting equipment to get the early
plants started.  I clean them even though I did that at the end of last season to insure there is no disease or bacteria present.  It's not the easiest to grow your own plants but it allows me to have the selection of plants I like.  It takes a constant vigilance to make sure everything is progressing as needed.
Well, that's all for this Sunday.  I don't know about anyone else, but I am starting to get a little excited about the upcoming season for new reasons.  I will elaborate on my reasons in a subsequent post.  So, until next time, happy gardening everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!