Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2017

New Year!!

Here's hoping everyone had a great News Years Eve and this finds everyone well.  As the new year begins, there are a few things that one needs to attend to in order ensure a great beginning of the garden season.
But, before I get into that, I went out yesterday to check my winter garden.  I was very surprised at the results I have gotten to this point.  As can be seen from the picture below, the lettuces that I had my doubts about have actually grown at a pretty good rate this week and they have greened up.  That means that the sunny days have been good enough to allow the plants to grow while being covered. The other plants of carrots, onions and spinach have also shown an appreciable rate of growth too.  I have some hope of getting some winter lettuce but that will depend on the temps and precipitation we do get.


At this time of the season, there are several steps that you want to take that may seem trivial but are essential to your gardens' outcome in the coming new season.  The first step is to plan out your garden and what crops you want to grow.  As I have alluded to in earlier posts, I have thought about the number and mix of crops I grow.  I have repeatedly over grown tomatoes and peppers despite the fact that my family really doesn't eat many of them.  I love a fresh tomato but do I really need to grow 18 different varieties?  The answer is a resounding no.  Same goes for the peppers.
Given this and the fact that I have expanded my garden plots last fall, I will need and want to grow other vegetables that make more sense.  I have already planned to grow cabbage, broccoli and peas this year.  Last year I planted the cabbage and broccoli late and got less than desirable results.  This year will be different.
The other activity I need to do is to inventory my seeds that I have stored.  I noticed that the various big stores are already putting out their seeds so that is one true sign it is time to augment my stores of seeds.  One thing to be careful about is to be sure that the seeds in these stores are for this year.  I know that the seeds will survive for years if properly stored, but why buy last years stock?  That is, why buy last years seeds at full price?  I will be travelling to a seed store in Baltimore city that I prefer as they sell varieties that are suited for this region.  I prefer theirs over the big selections in the other stores for that reason.  I will be going there in the next week or two.
The other activity that escapes attention at this time of the year is to do general maintenance of your tools.  Other than cleaning them up, oiling them and sharpening the various bladed tools, one has to look at whether the tool needs to be replaced.  Tools wear out over time.  If the tool doesn't effectively do the job it is for and can't be fixed, then it's time to discard it.
I have always viewed tools as an investment. You should be cautious about buying the cheaper tool. My experience is that it is far cheaper to buy a tool that is a little more expensive over the long run.  I actually have found some real nice tools at various antique stores.  They are older and sometimes a bit rusty, but you can't beat the workmanship of the tool.  And there is just something about buying a used tool as they are broken in and just have that "feel" in your hand.  You can see and experience the quality that went into it many decades ago.  They were made to last.
Given we are possibly going to have our first snow of the season with lower temperatures this week, there is nothing that can be done in the actual garden this week.  Much of the activities are the above referenced ones.  I will be watching my winter garden but, if the weather is as predicted, it will be better for me to stay away and let it alone.  Sometimes, that's the best tactic.
So, there you have it.  As always, Happy Gardening everyone!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!