Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2015

One week later

It's been a week since I started the winter rye in my two established beds.  The weather was mainly dry so I had to augment mother nature.  I took a look at the beds on Wednesday and there was no signs of life.  I have to admit that I was a little concerned in that I really hadn't had the time to water the beds heavily.  Life does get busy at times and this week was no exception.  I watered them with a heavier soaking Wednesday and followed with a lighter soaking on Thursday.  There were still no signs of life on Thursday evening so I began to think that I would have to seed the beds again.  That is, until Friday night when I came home from work.
While there wasn't a huge amount of growth, when I was watering the garden I saw the beginnings some growth.  I watered the beds in the face of a severe thunderstorm warning Friday evening.  My wife thought I was a little odd in doing this even though there were very dark clouds rolling in from the west.  I watered enough to get the top of the beds wet.  It poured here Friday evening and I was again questioning my choice to water the beds.  I mean, did I over do it?
I went out to the garden this afternoon and the pictures below show what I discovered.





















The picture to the left is the one week old seedlings in one of my established beds.  The one on the right is from the two week old seeding I did in my new bed.   It's hard to see the seeding's with a picture, but it won't be long before they look like the ones in the right picture.  They will get maybe two to three feet tall, all depending on the weather.  It tolerates lower temps so hopefully it will stay a little moderate for the upcoming month or so.  I will let mother nature take over at this time only watching the weather to maybe augment some watering.  This is how you grow your own green manure and limit the amounts weeds you will have in the spring.  Plus you don't have to worry about carbon leeching as the roots of the rye will fix the nitrogen in your soil over the winter.  It also reduces damage to your soil that occurs in winter such as erosion or pest infestations.
Well, that's all I have for today.  If you have a question, please feel free to leave a comment.  Until next time, Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!