Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2020

Leaf Mold progress

It has been roughly two weeks since I loaded the remaining leaves into my four composters and the garbage can composter. I decided it was time to check progress on them as I want to insure they are decomposing at a steady rate. This is going to be a major additive to my soils this spring.

So, I checked on the garbage cans' current status first. Despite the rains of the past weeks, the top layer looked dried out. This wasn't surprising as we have had many windy days here and it is uncovered. So, I decided to turn the leaves by using my compost turner. When turned, the leaves were putting off steam as it was 37 degrees at the time. They were moderately wet and looked as though the breakdown was in process. Here are pictures of the leaves before and after I turned them.
Thumb of 2020-12-07/grdnguru/69dacd Thumb of 2020-12-07/grdnguru/027656
They will need to be moistened and turned several times before spring in order to speed up the breakdown needed.

I then checked the composter where I alternately layered ground wood chips and leaves. Upon opening, the leaves at the top were dried much like the other unit. So, I began to turn the front half of the pile to see if there was any difference between them and the untouched remainder of this pile. The leaves that I turned were moderately wet in comparison and also seemed to be breaking down. A good sign. Much like the other unt, they too will need more water and turnings to get them into a rapid state of decomposition.Below are before and after glimpses of the unit.
Thumb of 2020-12-07/grdnguru/39a23b Thumb of 2020-12-07/grdnguru/b5a933

All in all, I am happy with the progress but do need to attend to them more frequently. I have a desired result that is time sensitive. A lot will depend on the weather as colder temps will impact these piles more than anything else. Only time will tell.
Well, that's all I have for now. I will be updating the greenhouse progress in my next post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!