Search This Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2015

The transitional month of March

As I sit down to write this today, we are having a snow and sleet event here in the Baltimore region. So while I look forward to the upcoming planting season, there is still a bit of winter to deal with. My beds are covered with about 3 inches of snow and any thoughts of working on them must wait for the time being.  But, there are things that need to be done if I am to have a successful growing season. Preparations abound around this time.
Yesterday I started, albeit late, my Cabbage and Broccoli plants.  Sometimes, life gets in the way of your garden and I had one of those life events.  I am trying newer varieties of Cabbage that I have never tried before.  They are Earliana and All Seasons.  The Broccoli are Waltham's which are supposed to be good for Zone 7.  I also started 8 plants of Peppers that are on schedule.  The Peppers are California Wonders which have always been good producers for me.
In the next couple days I will be starting my many varieties of Heirloom tomatoes.  I am going to experiment with Peppers by starting a new set of seedlings in two weeks to attempt to get two harvests before the end of the season.  I cannot start all my plants from seeds as I would need a large greenhouse for that.  So, I have two sources for plants that have proven reliable where I can get the varieties of vegetables that I like at a price that is reasonable.  I'll have more to say on that subject in later posts.
Outside preparations are at a minimum at this time naturally due to the uncertainty of the weather. From what I can see, we will be whipsawing this week as they are predicting just about every type of weather imaginable this week.  That's the nature of March in the Mid-Atlantic.  Given that, I am currently working on a checklist of the various things I need to do when the snow is gone.  I also have been getting my tools in good working order as its a great time to do this type of work.
March is a hard month to read early on.  Some gardeners try to force the beginning of the season with the many techniques that are available.  I too, tried some them over the years.  But, in my opinion, the effort to get an early start is a proposition fraught with peril.  Many times, the plants just didn't seem to produce as well as I would have expected.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't gardened before.  It took me quite a few years to venture out of the normal season.
So, at this point, I am waiting for Mother Nature to calm down.  Until that time, I will keep myself active preparing for when that time comes.  Happy Gardening everyone!              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!