Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2020

Progress with the winter vegetables

I was quite pleased with what I saw when I entered my greenhouse.  It seems, as you shall see, that even though the temps have been average to a little below average, the plants don't seem to mind.  First, the early planter of carrots continues to thrive.  I have been watering them on an every other day schedule which seems to be the sweet spot for them.  I started them and watered them every day.  After about 2 weeks or so, they began to show signs of slowing down and some of their leaves were actually browning out.  That was the point at which I decided to back off the water and try to gauge how often they required it.  Eventually, I figured out that every two days was where I needed to be.  Here is a picture of them at this point.



I trimmed the brown leaves off of them about a week ago and I can see that they are now beginning to show more vibrant leaves.
The later planted carrots seem to be thriving also.  I really didn't do anything different other than plant the seeds in a deeper container.  But, I believe they are growing well.  I used a technique I saw on another site.  I sowed them in a circular motion starting in the middle.  I left about an inch as I circled the pot.  I estimate that I have about 30 plants after I thinned them out. I can't wait to eat some of these as they are so much tastier than store bought.
  


The lettuce plants are a mixed bag of results.  Two of the plants seem to be producing well while the other two pots are not as hardy.  Same seeds but different results which occurs more often than gardeners would like to acknowledge. 
                                                



 As far as the newly seeded pots of lettuce, spinach and swiss chard there is hope.  Of the 19 pots I started in early January, 18 of them are now showing healthy growth.  I'll take that kind of return every day.  I believe, given these results, that I should be able to definitely grow my seedlings of early crops within the greenhouse.  That is a major advantage given they will receive direct sunlight instead of grow lights.
That's all for today.  Please feel free to check back as I will be posting more updates regarding my new garden design and greenhouse activities.  Until next time, Happy Gardening everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!