Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2019

Beginning of Spring!

After all, Punxsutawney Phil has predicted an earlier Spring - right?  Well, maybe not given his 40% accuracy rate.  But, one can always hope I guess?  After having a brutal week of very extreme temperatures due to the recent polar vortex, we have begun to turn back to normal temps.  We hadn't had much in the way of winter type weather up until then.  I do prefer that we have a period where the ground actually freezes.  I believe that the freezing of the ground eliminates pests, fungus and general issues in the soil.
I have been busy trying to get myself prepared for the upcoming season.  I took stock of my many seeds about a week or so ago.  I really need to reign in my penchant for buying seeds as I peruse home improvement stores.  I have over 175 seed packets in my small dorm fridge.  That's seems insane to me so I will begin to throw out the older packets as I go along.  One things for sure, I don't need any seeds as the season begins.
I am trying to better utilize the space I have this year.  I need to plan with the goal in mind to not over plant vegetables like Tomato's and Peppers.  I always give away at least half the harvest by the end of the year.  And eventually, I end up either letting the crops rot on the plants or throw them away as everybody has had their fill of them.  To me, that is such a huge waste of my energy, time and space.
So, the task at hand right now is to plan what I am going to grow.
My first project is to get my greenhouse up and running.  Not a small task but if I break it down into smaller steps, I should be able to get it erected soon enough.  Then, after that is in place, I need to reorganize the area behind my garage.  I have a 275 gallon container that I need to hook up along with moving my 4 composters so that I have access to everything.  Again, not a small task but it is necessary.
Along with those two projects, I need to reorganize the garden and determine what plants I will be growing.  I have a plastic greenhouse that I can use to start growing lettuces and the like earlier this year.  Barring any major snowstorms, it should hold up to the weather for the Spring.  Beyond that, I will be relying on the various growers for crops.  I have several and they each have a few crops that are different from the others.  I generally get a pretty well rounded selections and can even find most of the harder to get heirloom plants. 
I would add pictures but the ground in and around my gardens amounts to mud.  Better to leave the picture taking to another day.  But once things dry out a little - maybe this weekend - I'll get some snaps.  Until then, everyone enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!