Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Sunday in the garden.

Like any gardener, I spent a fair portion of my morning in the garden.  Yesterday was absolutely hot and humid.  I tried to endure the heat but when I checked the weather on my phone and it was 90 degrees with a feel like 98.  Now, I like to garden, but it just seemed pretty illogical to continue to fight the elements.  So I stopped even trying to get stuff done in the garden.  And for me, that's a very hard task to do.  I don't like missing a day in the garden, especially a weekend day. 
So, I just resolved to get up early today and knock some things out. 
First priority was to pick some veggies.  I watered the veggies last night so they would be firm.  That's something I have always done and it seems to work very well.  I picked Peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers.  All favorites of my family.  As you can see, there was a good amount of fruit available. 


The one large cucumber was the result of the vine travelling into the pepper plot unseen.  I did not see that one until this morning so it matured to a larger size than I normally pick them at.  I will eat it but when they get to that size, they begin to become overrun with larger seeds inside.  The quality is diminished for sure.  But like I said, I will eat it nonetheless.  After all, it's a cucumber. 
The big tomato on the bottom second from the left is a Cherokee Purple.  That's an heirloom which can grow tomatoes up to about a pound or better.  And the taste is almost as good as my favorite heirloom - Brandywine.
My wife made me a cucumber/tomato mixed salad for dinner tonight.  I can say this, there is absolutely nothing as great tasting than fresh garden tomatoes and cucumbers with my favorite dressing.  No store bought - even local sourced tomatoes and cucumbers - can even come close.
On another note, as I mentioned in my last post, I have decided to renovate my garden to give it more structure and better production.  Well, that process has now begun.  As seen below, I have removed the first set of bricks at the back of my one bed.  I measured the area to make sure I wasn't reducing my beds and when all was measured, turns out the area will be a bit larger.  Seems I will have an extra 4 square feet per bed.  All good news. 





 So, there you have a day in the life of my garden.  Hope you enjoyed your day as much as I did.  Until next time, Happy Gardening everyone.       



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!