Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2015

My passion for gardening

I often am asked by friends and business associates why I am so passionate about my gardening.  It's a good question and I often contemplate why I do actually garden.  It's certainly not because it is an easy to do activity.  It's not because I love the forever battle against the elements either.  There is nothing more deflating than to go out to the garden and find that a wave of leaf miners has let loose on your various plants.  Neither it is fun to survey your garden after a wicked summer thunderstorm to find your Peppers and/or Tomatoes have been severely damaged after they have set fruit.  Nor is there anything more disturbing than to have to cover your plants in the garden due to an impending later than normal frost in the Spring.  Or worse yet, when you go to pick a prize tomato and find out the squirrels have had a bite of it.  No, those aren't the reasons I garden year in and year out.
No, despite all these obstacles to actually garden, there are many reasons to garden.  I like the challenges that a growing plant represents.  Unlike mass producing farmers, a backyard garden does not provide the luxury allowing for some loss.  Each plant is important in the scheme of the garden. That's one of the core challenges of a garden in my mind.  To nurture that plant to it's final fruit despite the many problems you and it face throughout the seasons.
I also like the fact that I am solely responsible for the garden.  My efforts produce the results that are attained.  What I do and don't do, when I do it and how observant I am directly impacts the plants. From what I do to prep the soil in the fall and spring, what specific plants I plant, how I space them and what fertilization methods and inputs I use all affect the output of the garden.  It is all up to me for the most part.
Growing what I love to eat is also a big plus.  I don't see myself as a food snob but it would be rare for me to eat a store bought tomato, cucumber or pepper.  I grow only Heirloom tomatoes, specific types of cucumbers and peppers due to their taste.  There is a huge difference between a store bought tomato and a Brandywine fresh off your vine.  There is nothing like home grown taste.
The last and probably most important reason I have a garden is it is my "go to" place for peacefulness.  When I am in the garden working on the plants or spying possible issues, I am actually quite calm.  It's where I can get my mind to let go of the day and this world we live in.  When I see a bee busily hopping from plant to plant or a butterfly doing likewise, I can watch them going about their business and forget the day and the world.  I can breathe again and just be in the moment.  One moment this year that I can remember is when I found a frog in my garden.  It was so out of the ordinary.  It was so tiny that a pepper leaf covered him.  I watched him for a short time and just released the leaf so it covered him back up.  I never expected to see it there, but for some reason, I just stopped and watched for a short time not worried about what was "next" on my list.  That kind of moment, while not important in the scheme of things, still resonates with me.
So, you see, gardening has it many benefits that far outweigh the risks involved.  You too can do this and feel the same one day too.  All you have to do is just take the first step.  I guarantee you won't regret it.  Until next time, Happy Gardening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!