Search This Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Harvest time!!!

Yes, it's that time in the garden.  You know - the time when you go out to the garden with a little bit of wonderment of what all your diligent work in the garden will reward you with.  Last night, due to other activities, I wasn't able to get to the garden until around 8:15 pm.   I knew I had vegetables to pick and after inspection, I decided to water them down and then pick them in the morning when they would be their freshest.  So, with headlamp on to see what I was doing, I watered the garden down.  I know my neighbors, if they were looking, must have had a chuckle.
But, this morning I woke up with anticipation of what I had spied last night.  I picked a bunch of the various cherry tomatoes I planted along with a beautiful (in my eyes at least) Mortgage Lifter tomato. It's a Heirloom tomato with quite a story behind it.  It dates back to the 1930's when a gentleman by the name of MC Byles, with no experience of plant breeding, bred 4 different varieties of the largest tomatoes he could find at the time and developed this plant.  Legend and his recorded story has it that he sold enough of these plants to pay off the mortgage on his house.  Good for him and thanks for such a wonderful tomato I say.
So, here's the first Mortgage Lifter of the season.

I find that the first fruits from this plant are a little smaller than they should be.  I will let the next ones sit on the vine a little longer to see if maybe I was a little over eager to pick this one.  They can get close to 2 lbs each and are consistent producers throughout the season.
I also picked a bunch of the various cherry tomatoes I planted this year.  

This is about the 3rd set of these I picked so far this year.  I have eaten some and given away more to various people I know.  Last year I was asked repeatedly if I had them when in fact, I didn't grow any.  Never knew people loved these so much so I guess I will have to grow them due to the demand. 
Lastly, I also picked two cucumbers.  These come from seeds I bought in Italy years ago.  

These are some of the best cucumbers I have tasted.  I'm going to have to do a little investigation as I need to either save the seed if possible or get new seeds.  I ran an experiment with these two cukes. The one on the top hung from a trellis and the one on the bottom was laying in a melon basket as seen below.


Not sure if this will affect the taste or the amount of seeds in the cuke.  I will find out when we cut it open in the next day or so.  My guess is that there will be more meat to the basket cuke.  We shall see!  
So there you have it.  We are in the throes of quite literally "reaping what we have sowed".  I hope your garden is producing in excess so you too can share with others in your life.  If you have anything to discuss or need some help, please leave a comment and I will be glad to share my experience with you.  Until then, happy gardening everyone!    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!