Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Never heard this before...

 I have seen various Youtube videos on gardening over the past year or so. Lately, several of them have highlighted the spotty to ever increasing widespread lack of seeds for vegetable gardeners. Part of the issue is that with all the Covid madness, more people have taken to gardening. Fair enough. The other part is that the seed producers have experienced dwindling seed production due to weather abnormalities. Most do believe the weather will continue to change and not for the better. But that's a whole different story.

On one video, the presenter said that there are a lot of reports of seed shortages and that the big problem seeds were beans and peas. That is because the bulk of those seeds are produced in a region where there was a huge loss of productioon due to crop damages. I filed this information in the back of my mind and decided to see if there was a local problem. I went to my usual source and asked asked if I could buy 2 lbs of each. They did have them but when I asked if they were experiencing tight seed supplies, the person who I spoke to said they indeed had some actual shortages but not many. Then they told me that their supplies were a little lower than normal. This is before the seed buying season has begun in earnest. I would just advise anyone who is going to buy seeds, to do that now. I have a pretty substantial amount of seeds and varieties so I am not that concerned at this point. I will also add that the prices of seeds have skyrocketed which substantiates the issue. The demand has risen while the supply side has contracted. Hence, higher prices.
If you know of any local seed suppliers in your area, that would be the best place to start. I just got the new catalog from a major seed company and I have to express alarm. I was amazed at the price differential of my local contact to theirs. In some cases, their prices were 3 times as much. I don't mean to disparge them, they certainly are a good company. But, if you can find a good reputable seed company locally, perhaps their prices will be easier on the pocketbook.
Well, just wanted to give a heads up today. Don't want anyone to get caught unawares of the issue at hand. Good luck everyone and Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!