Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Seedlings everywhere and that other thing

I have been incredibly busy with my plantings in the greenhouse. I have never had the ability to start plants outside so, I am excited to get as many started as I can. I tend to grow heirloom vegetables as I prefer their taste. I have almost 300 seed packets which I keep in a dorm style refrigerator in my basement. The reason for the plethora of packets is that there were many stories and some proof last year that there would be a shortage of seeds. I therefore bought seeds when I saw a great sale and I also broadened my selection. I have to admit I went overboard on them.
I sent my brother a box of probably 50-70 seed packets earlier this year. He called me and asked if I thought he had a farm in the backyard when he got them. But you know what, he told me recently that he expanded his garden with more beds. Never give a gardener more land or seeds as they will always find a way to use them. 
My seeds seem to last very long in the little refrigerator. I got the idea to store them in it when I saw a show about the seed bank that is in Norway in the Svalbard Global Seed Vault. It's a huge concrete vault built in the ground and they have 20 M seeds in the vault and are still collecting new seeds. The seeds are kept a 0 degree Fahrenheit. I thought, after seeing this, what if I kept my seeds in a refrigerator. I tell people I have seeds from 2006 that are still producing and am met with mad stares when I tell them that. Even my brother doubted me.
As I said, I have been quite busy with gardening and other goings on. My plants are doing quite well. I have plenty of lettuce mainly of the buttercrunch variety. It makes for a great salad when mixed with spinach and other things.
Here are my lettuce plants, along with the spinach plants I planted along with them. Time to harvest some of each for a nice salad.
Thumb of 2020-03-15/grdnguru/1ef33b Thumb of 2020-03-15/grdnguru/004382
Maybe I'll add some of the carrots I harvested yesterday to the salad too. These were from the initial plantings I did in November/December.
Thumb of 2020-03-15/grdnguru/a32bd7
I do have additional plantings in the works as shown below. I'll have to replant the container that I just pulled the carrots from with more seeds. I do love carrots.
Thumb of 2020-03-15/grdnguru/c2f2c9
I am also currently growing seedlings of the early spring crops along with cucumbers. I have various seedlings of cabbage, broccoli, lettuce and spinach as shown.
Thumb of 2020-03-15/grdnguru/f05c32 Thumb of 2020-03-15/grdnguru/40eead
Given the winter has been quite moderate for the Mid-Atlantic region, I've been able to collect about 135 gallons of water from all the rain we have received in the past month or so. I do treat it with a water treatment for pools that blows off in about a day or so after I add it to the water. I only use it when I see that the water is beginning to turn or if there are abundance of mosquitos. Otherwise, I let it alone. Here is the container as it sits now.
Thumb of 2020-03-15/grdnguru/505829
Now, about that other thing. I have witnessed a lot of panic regarding the virus and have, to an extent, given into it myself. It is very hard not to. In order to channel my anxiety, I am expanding my garden further in order to grow what I believe my wife and I will eat and need. I have spoken to numerous people about the need to garden now, more than ever. For the most part, my words have fallen on deaf ears as the saying goes. Most say they just don't have the time. That's all fine and good as far as I am concerned. I have tried. But for those of us who have been gardening, I think it is imperative that we begin to grow what we need, not just what we like.  This virus is impacting our supply chains negatively. I pray that what I am seeing is just a bump in the road. So, I would end this by saying, if you have the time and will, dig further and grow more. 
Well, that's all I have for this post. Stay well and grow, grow and grow! Until next time, Happy Gardening Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!