Search This Blog

Monday, September 7, 2015

Harvest abounds

This past Sunday I went out to the garden to see what I had to harvest.  To my surprise, there was quite a lot of veggies to pick.  As seen below, I picked a very nice sized Watermelon (Celebrity), a bunch of Peppers, two cucumbers and, as has been the case all year, a ton of tomatoes.


The watermelon measured 16" long and weighed 15 lbs plus.  I took it over to our family's Labor day picnic.  It smelled great and tasted even better.  Nothing like a fresh watermelon that was picked 6 hours earlier.  I haven't had too much success with watermelons but this year I did get two very nice ones.  I will be repeating this planting next year.  Only thing I will do differently is I will start them sooner in the garden.  
Off topic here, but on Saturday, my wife and I took a trip out to Frederick Maryland to a place called Chartreuse & Co. They have about 4 barns and several houses filled by vendors with antiques and other items.  Each Spring and Fall they have big events where the barns, houses and the fields around them are filled with vendors selling their stuff.  When we arrived, we were a little shocked to find out just how popular this event is.  There were cars everywhere and there were even two buses.  There were cars from Pa.,Virginia and Maryland.  There was so much to see that it took us quite a while to get to all the sites.  I did buy several items that I intended on using in my gardening as seen below.  
No, I didn't buy the dog.  That is my buddy Barkley dutifully guarding my purchases.  I plan on using the bucket and funnel for my compost teas so I can filter it.  The box at the bottom is an old security lock box.  That is where I intend on storing my seeds this winter

Well, that's all for now.  Next weekend my wife and I are travelling to Monticello to take in some seminars they are having as a part of their Heritage Harvest Festival.  I visited it once before and it was very breathtaking.  This time though is to learn about the soil and how to do winter gardening.  I will tell you all about it next week once I catch my breath.  Until next time, happy gardening!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please share it!